Author Topic: Dropped D?  (Read 3653 times)

Offline rock.freak667

• Gunslinger
how exactly would I tune my bass guitar to dropped D? I have an idea but not too sure if it will work....

Offline Sammy_dirty_little_thing

• Sniper Assassin
  • Hi, My Name is Samantha
    • Sammy's Myspace Site
is this half a step down?

Offline rock.freak667

• Gunslinger
I'm kinda new to playing it, so i dont really know what you mean by half a step down

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
drop D you tune the E string to D, which is down a full step.

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
play the fifth fret on your A string, or just an open D string, and match your E string to that note. now play the fifth fret of the low E string which is now D, and match your A string to that. The A string will now be the G string (haha g string). Now play the fifth fret on the new g string and match the string that is regularly D to that. once that is done play the fifth fret on what used to be the D string and match the high Gstring to that. That might be a little bit confusing. :lol:

Offline rock.freak667

• Gunslinger
yep...kinda is confusing....i just thought I would have to tune the E-string to match the open D-string and that was it...but I was wayyy wrong it would seem...now to make sense of all those instructions

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
well if you had just the E string to drop D than that fits some songs. I think slither is like that if im not mistaken?

Offline Born 2 b Wild

• Gunslinger
  • Yipee Ky-Ay Motherfucker!!
well if you had just the E string to drop D than that fits some songs. I think slither is like that if im not mistaken?

u are right

other stuff in the same tuning is most avenged sevenfold songs

Offline rock.freak667

• Gunslinger
What do the notes Db and A# and all other notes like that mean? And is there like a chord chart i can find that shows me finger positons?

Offline rock_chick4surrr

• Gunslinger
What do the notes Db and A# and all other notes like that mean? And is there like a chord chart i can find that shows me finger positons?

Most How-to-play Guitar books will have chord diagrams showing the finger positions. Ultimate-Guitar can help to. Once you learn bar chords it'll be easy from there.

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
Electronic tuners are your friend  :P

Offline FanMan

• Pea Gun Newbie
Dropped D is just making the low E a full tone lower (making it a full octave lower than the D string) isnt it?

Because if thats the case, just make the 7th fret of low E the same pitch as the A string...

that could be totally wrong but anyway.

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
thats correct.

and for drop D you only need to change the tuning of the low E string, no others.

Offline Philth

• Sniper Assassin
  • Iron Ego
    • PhilthTube
I just hold down the string on the second fret of the E-string and tune it down to E.

Might not be the proper way to do it, but it works for me.

Offline BethRoze

• Straight Shooter