Author Topic: Sick whenever i sing  (Read 2869 times)

Offline edge

• Straight Shooter
Hey guys and girls!!

Everytime i try to sing U2 and RHCP songs or whatever , i get a really bad flu the day after. Does anyone else experience this sorta thing?

I tried singing the chorus of Tiny Dancer originally by Elton John ..but i was trying the John Fruciante version...i got sick the next day.

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
ok.. weird! :?

like your throat hurts? that's probably cause you breath totally wrong while singing... but a flu? the day after? lol

Offline Philth

• Sniper Assassin
  • Iron Ego
    • PhilthTube
I've felt sick when hitting a note too high, but never the flu  :?

Offline Sammy_dirty_little_thing

• Sniper Assassin
  • Hi, My Name is Samantha
    • Sammy's Myspace Site
seroiusly, i sing the high notes from the darkness and that doesnt hurt me at all

maybe you just have some mysterious flu that only comes out when you sing.  :?

Offline edge

• Straight Shooter
plus i drinks lots of water after singing too..

it starts with uncomfortable throat and than a really bad flu with sneezing and all that.

Offline Lil Miss Brownstone

• Target Practice
  • Look out France I'm coming!!
Mabey you had a cold coming on but when you sang it made your throat sore and made you feel worse? Thats definitely happened to me! Though I know some people that I wish felt ill when they sang because maby if they did then they wouldn't do it so much and save our ears the agony!!! :D

Offline kinky boots

• Gunslinger
maybe its your body tellin you not to sing  :P

Offline edge

• Straight Shooter
hmm how am i ever gonna sing ...and i got school too...can't afford to get sick.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 05:03:34 AM by edge »

Offline Philth

• Sniper Assassin
  • Iron Ego
    • PhilthTube
I sung a bit too high this morning without a warm up or anything and nearly sicked over myself.

Offline seetal

• Sniper Assassin
  • Step Outside But Not To Brawl
^^
u do a warm-up :lol: i usually dont sing, i kinda whistle or hum random parts of a song when im bored or if its playin. but yea, maybe it is just your body tellin you not to sing :lol:

Offline velvetqueen

• Sniper Assassin
maybe its your body tellin you not to sing  :P

lol yeah.. Stop singing OR get a flu. Your choice.
so, what do you choose?

:lol:

Offline Slash666

• Sniper Assassin
  • Got A Speech Inpediment?...Call D-D-D-D-Dave!
    • Gypsy Beaver - Official Site!
seroiusly, i sing the high notes from the darkness and that doesnt hurt me at all

maybe you just have some mysterious flu that only comes out when you sing.  :?

i am so jealous of you, i wish i could sing but hey playing guitar isnt that bad  :P

Offline edge

• Straight Shooter
i just read that singing things that is out of your range is actually hurting your voice..

Ok is this very high?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhg2F69xvx8

i just got sick trying to sing it. and yes i have to tighten up alot to reach that pitch / tone or whatever.

Offline Ruhie

• Sniper Assassin
  • use and confuse them, they're numb and naive
you should drink water while singing to keep yourself and your vocal chords hydrated. its also advisable to steer clear of alcohol/cigarettes while singing because they dehydrate your vocal chords too (hence why philth like the sound of his voice when he does that  :P)

if your straining that will result in a sore throat and you may be affecting your neck muscles to in the process, which also has an affect on your voice. best tip is to warm up properly, do scales starting easy then getting harder (so presumably higher in pitch in your case), with practice those notes will come, or it may just be that your voice isn't designed to go that high. putting strain in your voice continously can contribute to nodules appearing on your vocal chords (this is after repetitive misuse though) which again will affect your voice and may need seeing by a pro.

avoid cough sweets too, while they do soothe your throat they have dehydrating properties and drink water rather than coughing to clear your throat if you do that too. hope this helps  :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 09:17:20 AM by Ruhie »

Offline BethRoze

• Straight Shooter
I've never had any of those problems when I sing.  It's just that my high notes sound like shit, so I try to avoid them as much as possible :p