Author Topic: recording guitars  (Read 2125 times)

Offline lespaul101

• Target Practice
If there is anybody in here that has professionally recorded guitar.  How do mic amps?  Like is there a best place to put the mic?

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
there are 2 different ways to mic an amp. Close and long. close mic has the mic right up against the speakers. having it long mic'd has the microphone about 2-3 ft away. Slash close mics.

Offline Darkburst

You can get different tones by placing the mic in front of the speaker aimed right at the cone or what is called 'off axis' where the mic is placed towards one side and aimed between the center of the speaker cone and the edge.

Offline Dutchizzy

• Sniper Assassin
    • red
I've posted this link in another topic here, www.homerecordingconnection.com is a great site when it comes to recording/mixing/mastering. There are some miking technices with pictures aswell.

What you can do is play guitar and put your head in front of the amp to hear where the "sweet spot" is and then put a mic in front of it. Or just recording something and move the mic around until you're happy with the sound.

Offline Duff_me

• Straight Shooter
  • Hands all shaking got your finger on the trigger
depending on what sound you want, more abience = behind amp , no ambience - close mic to the cone. Google StudioBuddy  and download the thing, its great and tells you how to record any instrument. use a SM57 mic if you can.. got a Great sound out of one yesturday recording a rock version of new york new york. id always have the mic at the edge of the cone.

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
Or you can go pure Matt Bellamy and use around 32 mics scattered throughout the room and mix them all :P

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
SM57's are the industry standard, i close mic with them, also i quite like the sound you get from E604 tom mic's clipped them onto the cab so it's another close mic, also a C4-14 to get more of the room's ambient sound, placed back about 6 ft at a decent height.

then blend them all together or just take the ones you need for the sound you're looking for.