Author Topic: Any mixing tips you have for me?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
Hey all, I'm working on some recordings and on one particular song, I can't get a good mix! My goal is to capture all the little nuances of my playing, and I HAVE captured them, but when I put vocals on top of it, things get mudded together.

this is the song in question. you'll see at certain parts in the song, the main riff of the guitar gets lost. any tips?

in the mix is 2 guitars, left and right; digital drums; a bass simulator; lead vocals and backup vocals on the chrouses

http://media.putfile.com/Invincible-27

Offline Paraseptic_Demon

• Straight Shooter
    • http://www.leesimpson.tk
the mix sounds pretty damn good... on my speakers anyway. everythings nice and clear... maybe pump the bass guitar up a little bit, along with the snare and bassdrum (only a little bit though).

as for guitars, they sit nice in the mix, so i wouldnt change it much if at all. Ive been thru the same as you (been a guitarist myself) i have learned to deal with not making 'Guitar Mixes' basically, thats when me/you (the guitarist) is mixing the song, and subconciously is thinkin "noo, my wonderful guitars gettin hard to hear" when reallly its fine.

Ive got out of that stage :P wont be long before you do too.

keep up the good work. keep it as it is before you do make it a guitar mix :P

Offline who_needs_axl_?

• Pea Gun Newbie
more gain will help your sound cut through the mix

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
really man? are you SURE it's okay? it really does sound unclear sometimes, like the vocals swamp the guitar to the point where the main riff isn't audible..think i should re-record the vocals?

Offline Dutchizzy

• Sniper Assassin
    • red
EQ all instruments and vocals to give each of them their own place in the soundspectrum :wink:

For example you can roll off the lower frequences below some point on the guitars cause the bass will fill those. And the frequency of the average human voice is around 4 kHz, so you can boost those frequencies and at the same time cut that area on the guitars so the vocals will cut thru. And then you can put compressors on the vocals aswell.

www.homerecordingconnection.com is a GREAT site when it comes recording/mixing/mastering. Especially the mixing parts, there are some EQ examples to start out with the basics. What will happen if you do this and how you can achieve that etc. it's all there.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 05:19:56 AM by Dutchizzy »

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
Its the bass and some of the cymbals not cutting through right. Changing the EQ should help a little with that. Especially when the bass guitar and bass drum start competing for the low end of the song.

Offline Suede Pistol

• Straight Shooter
    • Myspace
see the problem though is that i can't control the bass drum or the snare, it's all bounced into one simulated track. the bass guitar i have boosted on the mids and highs, not as much on the lows to tell the truth..i'll try boosting those, but like i said the main problem i have is differentiating the vocals and guitar

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
can hardly hear the bass at all, try boosting some of the lower mids rather than the highs. you might want to increase the level of the guitar using automation when the vocals come in so they don't seem so lost (or ride the faders while recording it).

panning is also key to a good mix. the snare seems to be dead centre try putting it slightly out to the right.

also a vocoder on highhats give an amazing sound when mixed in with the overheads on the kit.