Author Topic: Strat Pic-ups  (Read 5526 times)

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
I have a westfield start copy and I have to say that I got lucky with it because the sound is really good on it!  Any way I was thinking of changing the pick-ups on it to make the sound more like a real strat but I have been told not to bother becasue it wont make that much of a difference. 

Any one got any advice?  And if so what pick-ups do you advise?  Im going for a hendrix style or a Richie Sambora style. 

Offline who_needs_axl_?

• Pea Gun Newbie
Pickups make a HUGE difference in the tone of your guitar, I don't know alot about single coils pickups but look into Dimarzio, Duncan, and fenders pickups. Fenders will sound the most like fender so start there

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
The wood looks to be really good in the strat too!!  But there are still people tellin me that it is not worth it :?  Cuz Im gettin a new guitar they just say na dont bother.  I duno I love my we crapy start lol

Offline who_needs_axl_?

• Pea Gun Newbie
NEw pickups will run you about 100-150 dollars depending on the pups, do you know what the wood is? If you love that guitar do it, and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the guitar?

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
Its a cheap ass guitar!!  I got it for 150 I think its a little westfield but the sound isnt bad from it beleive it or not (Alot of poeple have said so)  Im not sure what wood it is but im sure I can find out!  Im not sure what pic ups I want!  At the minute what ever way I have my amp it screams like way to much so i duno!!  I dont really know that much about single coil pic ups so I dont know what to go for :?

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
i saw some hendrix clone pickups that are meant to sound amazing, but i'd wait till i had a decent fender before i used something like that.

what settings do you have on your amp, because i find the amp makes the biggest difference to a guitar sound.

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
I have a Line6 Spider and I have it set to the coolest sound!! ha ha its really growls\! I duno Im gonna get my Les Paul first and if I still want to change the pic-ups then I will!!  Its a really nice wee guitar

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
Change the pickups to a good set, just remember to take them back off when you sell taht guitar on. Unless it really means a lot to you, in which case you can probably get it customised up to a decent standard over time and you'll have a completely unique instrument.

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
yeah thats the plan I want to turn it into MY guitar if you get what I mean ha ha

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
I have a copy of a les paul, and I dunno. I wanna go for a more Sabbath, Guns, Aerosmith kind of sound. The person said to go with the pick ups slash has. Or shud I wait until I buy my amp. Because Im saving up for a JCM 2000. And i have like $250. So is it worth getting the Alnico Pro II pickups or shud I go with a different one. Or shud I wait until I get ym amp.

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
well if I where you I would get the amp first!!  My boyfriend has a les paul and a mode four and you can still get the slash sound with just the normal pic ups!!  So I would still get the pic ups becasue Les Paul pic ups give alot of feed back sometimes!!  Im gettin a Les Paul and I plan to change the pic ups on it aswell to the same as slash has becasue they sound better.

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
The amp gives you the biggest boost in sound quality. You can plug a starter guitar into something like a mode four and sound a hundred times better than a gibson LP put through a crap 8W starter amp.

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
yeah I know becasue my cheap little strat sounds cool through my Line6!!  The amp makes a big difference

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
Hmmm.... Line6.

Although, even on my small one, you can get better sound quality just by cranking it up to about half way or above.

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
jubillee/slash amps are the way to go, if you're lucky enough to find one :D

Offline who_needs_axl_?

• Pea Gun Newbie
jubillee/slash amps are the way to go, if you're lucky enough to find one :D

One thing to remember about buying one of those amps is the they cost so major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s though

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
I always like to get a amp or even a guitar that is like my guitar idols but i dont want to get the same as them becasue whats the point in sounding the same as someone else?  Its good to get your own sound!!  And plus I cant afford the signature ones lol  Mode four's are soooooooo sexy

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
I always like to get a amp or even a guitar that is like my guitar idols but i dont want to get the same as them becasue whats the point in sounding the same as someone else?  Its good to get your own sound!!  And plus I cant afford the signature ones lol  Mode four's are soooooooo sexy

Thats why you either get a sound guy to tell you whats best for you or you go hunting for exactly what you want.

And yes, Mode Fours, someone once let me hug their mode four.

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
yeah and stick a les paul through it too and damn the sound is just amazing!!!

Offline who_needs_axl_?

• Pea Gun Newbie
I myself like the DSL 100 amps

Offline satanwontherace

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • rock'n'fuckin'roll
i got an original american strat.....it sounds amazing in every amp,even straight to the mixer....
what a fucking guitar!!!!

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
I myself like the DSL 100 amps

never tried one lol but damn I just love the mode four lol  The sound is just amazing lol  Even the look of them is just pure rock/metal lol

Offline Armondikov

• Straight Shooter
Definitely, you have to love that grating.

Offline who_needs_axl_?

• Pea Gun Newbie
IN my opinion the DSL100 is somewere between a jubilee and a Mesa Dual Rectifier

but if you want the best NOTHING beats a ENGL Powerball

they are the best sounding amps I've ever heard

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Well. I decided not to go for a JCM 2000 at the time. Im gonna keep my MG50DFX, I've grown to like it. And I still think its just right for now. But I will be changing my pic ups to what slash has cuz the humbuckers on these are pretty bad, My guitar teacher awhile back said that it would be a good idea to change it. So I will be doing that befre the summer. But right now Im gonna get an ipod :P