Author Topic: 212 or 412  (Read 3713 times)

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
i have around 300 dollars and need to get a guitar speaker cabinet. should i get a good 212 or a cheap 412? if i get a 212 im gonna get another 212 later. i dont even have a head yet so will it work to just run my combo through it?

Offline Darkburst

You might be able to find a 'good' beater 4x12 for that money. Meaning it might not look pretty, but will still sound great. As I mentioned earlier, I scored a Marshall 1960av cab from Craigslist for $200. They go for over $900 new on Musician Friend's site. I'm not sure what kind of combo you're using, but as long as it has speaker outs and the impedance is correct you're in business!

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
yeah but there is one problem. carrying around a 412 cabinet plus a 112 combo is hard work.

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
another question is, is the cabinet really a huge part of the sound quality?

Offline Darkburst

another question is, is the cabinet really a huge part of the sound quality?

The cab and speakers do affect the tone a lot. Certain cab/speaker combinations sound better with different heads. And yes moving around a 4x12 cab isn't always fun, but it's satisfying once you're cranking an amp through one!

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
How much do u say a 212 weighs?

Offline Slash1337

• Gunslinger
Well thats not bad. So a 412 wud be like 80/90 pounds then I guess.

Offline slash777

• Pea Gun Newbie
yeah a 412 weighs around 80. some times less, sometimes more. my 112 combo weighs 40. how much does a head weigh? and btw, some guitar shop is sellin a 412 for 200 used and i dont know what brand it is or how it sounds. should i get it. (i dont know about it cuz i just asked the guy on the phone if he had any cheap 412s.

Offline who_needs_axl_?

• Pea Gun Newbie
My vote is to look for a used Marshall 1960A

Offline _

• Sniper Assassin
yeah a 412 weighs around 80. some times less, sometimes more. my 112 combo weighs 40. how much does a head weigh? and btw, some guitar shop is sellin a 412 for 200 used and i dont know what brand it is or how it sounds. should i get it. (i dont know about it cuz i just asked the guy on the phone if he had any cheap 412s.

play through it before you buy it.

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
My vote is to look for a used Marshall 1960A

In the UK, if thats where your from, you could get a used beat up 4 by 12 for bout 175.

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
If you can find a working decent sounding 1960 used, then buy that, other than that, I would spend the money on a really decent 212 like the Marshall 1936. The 1936 has the Celestion Vintage speakers that are the top of the line. ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1936-2x12-Cabinet?sku=482776 ) I suggest Marshall by the way, because they're all I use so I kinda know them, the only other amps I would buy are Orange, but they are thousands of dollars a piece. I don't know where you live, but in Canada, all Marshalls are going down in price by like 250$ today so you might wanna check that out. As for a head, you might look into a used 212 (it will still be loud and sound good) and a used head as well.

Offline Darkburst

All newer 1936 Marshall Cabs are made of MDF/particle board and sound like ass. If you're going for a cheap but good 2x12 a suggest Avatar Speakers:

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

Offline Captain Tophat

• Sniper Assassin
  • Official Stamper Out of Idiots
All newer 1936 Marshall Cabs are made of MDF/particle board and sound like ass. If you're going for a cheap but good 2x12 a suggest Avatar Speakers:

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

The only one I've played was used and about 2.5 to 3 years old, so glad you pointed that