Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 77457 times)

Offline Just_Me

Its how he's feeling that scares me.

I've actually made sure my whole family, and many of my friends know, if I ever end up in anything like that state, or a coma with no chance of waking up, anything like that, I want them to pull the plug.
I can't imagine anything worse.

Offline Biteme5251228

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Sex and Rock and Roll, the American way
I'm not reading anything at the moment except a shit load of poems for school. But my favorite book is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde. Its perfection

Offline superbrandon

• Sniper Assassin
  • i hope they serve beer in hell
    • http://www.mygnr.com
i hope they serve beer in hell.
tucker max

Offline timmiller

• Straight Shooter
im reading this website at the moment but in english literature we have to read pride and prejudice which is the most boring peice of literature ever invented

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to read any fiction right now :( When I do, I want to read more Hamsun (Pan is by far the best book I've ever read) though, and maybe some Steinbeck, Hemingway and Jules Verne...

Offline Cbomb

• Sniper Assassin
Its how he's feeling that scares me.

I've actually made sure my whole family, and many of my friends know, if I ever end up in anything like that state, or a coma with no chance of waking up, anything like that, I want them to pull the plug.
I can't imagine anything worse.

yeah same! it is pretty depressing stuff, but its more just reallt interesting to read, it really challenges your perspective on war and makes such an impact.

other than that its quite hard to read sometimes as the only punctuation trumbo uses are full stops, so you can get huuuge sentences of just insanity. i would recommend reading it though.

Offline Ruhie

• Sniper Assassin
  • use and confuse them, they're numb and naive
the most recent things ive read were all of dan browns books. i hope theres another out soon. dont really get a lot of time to read anymore  :(

Offline Red Hot Lady

• Webmistress
  • Sniper Assassin
  • One click and I can make you disappear
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

It's a good book, I have only started reading it but I'm hooked.

i love that book, better than the da vinci code in my opinion!! totally addictive

Better than The Da Vinci Code? Pretty impressive. I absolutely loved that book, I finished it like a month ago and now I'm fascinated to find out more about it.  

Angels and Demons is suspenesful so far which I definitely like!

You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again by Julia Phillips

Is that the book of the producer of Taxi, she also worked with Spielberg and her stories about drugs? If it is,  read it like three years ago, good book! But the book is in Boston. :(

interview with a vampire :D

Great book. Reminds me to pick up more Anne Rice books.

Offline Just_Me

im reading this website at the moment but in english literature we have to read pride and prejudice which is the most boring peice of literature ever invented
And yet you would not believe how many people picked it as Slash's favourite book on that trivia quiz I did a while ago.
(And BTW the other options were 'How To Succeed In The Music Industry', 'Fear And Lothing In Las Vegas' and 'Dinosaur Encyclopedia'.)

I need to get more of Anne Rice's stuff.  I've read the first Interview With The Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, Queen Of The Damned and Tale Of The Body Thief but I really want to get on to the rest of them sometime.

And I've just been reminded of a book I have to recommend:
Round Ireland With A Fridge by Tony Hawks.
It often gets classed as a travel book but its comedy more than anything.

The short version is that Tony Hawks (not the skateboarder if anyone is wondering) gets drunk with some friends one night and wakes up next to piece of paper which he apparently signed that says he agreed to attempt to hitch hike around Ireland, dragging a fridge, in 30 days.
And the rest of the book continues along the same lines.

I honestly don't think I stopped laughing the entire time.  Just the scene where he goes to buy the fridge makes it work reading.

All this talk of books is making me wish I had more of mine here.  I have 3 boxes of them in my room at home, but I can only bring a few at a time out here because their relatively heavy and I've never been good at packing light.  But I just got paid and hopefully I'll be going to Barnes & Noble this weekend so I might get some new ones.

Offline Sammy_dirty_little_thing

• Sniper Assassin
  • Hi, My Name is Samantha
    • Sammy's Myspace Site
far from the madding crowd - thomas hardy

Offline Muffin Bean

• Target Practice
Reading quite a few:

'Dracula' by Bram Stoker - just started this but I really like it so far. Not nearly as heavy going as I thought it would be.
'Interview With the Vampire' by Anne Rice (I'm re-reading this) - I love this book!
'Life Of Pi' by Yann Martel (also re-reading) - I really like this one, it's good to ponder over.
'Queen Of The Damned' by Anne Rice - I've only read the first chapter, but it seems good so far.
'The Mammoth Hunters' by Jean M. Auel - this one is pretty interesting.

Offline writerbec

• Gunslinger
"On The Run: A Mafia Childhood" by Gregg & Gina Hill.  I'm really big on the mafia movies and books etc.  This is a predictable read so don't know that I'd recommend it.  Their Dad was the infamous Henry Hill, the guy they based actor Ray Liotta's part on in the "Goodfellas" movie.

Offline superbrandon

• Sniper Assassin
  • i hope they serve beer in hell
    • http://www.mygnr.com

watch the movie instead it has syide from lost in it

Offline centaine

• Gunslinger
  • Slashaholic and proud to be !
    • *Rockin' Graphix*
Jim Morrison-Life, Death, Legend  ...great!

Offline Kriss

• Male Driver
  • Sniper Assassin
I just read the money diet by martin lewis and Im starting on rich dad poor dad by some chick who I cant remember lol. The book is there *points to side of bed* but im too lazy to move and check  :P

Offline timmiller

• Straight Shooter
i like to read a lot of stories about guitar n stuff. no particualar title sorry

Offline Sammy_dirty_little_thing

• Sniper Assassin
  • Hi, My Name is Samantha
    • Sammy's Myspace Site
the dirt - motley crue
tommyland - tommy lee
jane austins guide to dating - lauren henderson

Offline Biteme5251228

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Sex and Rock and Roll, the American way
I have about a half an hour in b/w some of my classes and I dont want to go back to my dorm so I just go to the library. I have started reading "The Vampire Lestat" in my waiting time, its actually pretty interesting

Offline Just_Me

The Vampire Lestat annoyed me for a long time.  I just get so frustrated with Anne Rice's characters going around congratulating themselves on being so amazing without ever actually doing anything.  And Lestat is the worst of the lot.

But I have to say the books get better as they go along, so I'm looking forward to reading the later ones.  The Witches series also looks very interesting.

Oh and although I'm still reading Anne McCafferys Crystal Singers series I also bought a Star Wars book called Darksaber.  I got it from the library a few times and I remember it being good but I can't remember what actually happens so I'm looking forward to reading it again.

Offline Human_Tripod

• Sniper Assassin
  • AUS
Seven Ancient Wonders- Matthew Reilly
nythin by him is fucking amazing, so fast paced and action packed, more like a movie than a book

Offline Philth

• Sniper Assassin
  • Iron Ego
    • PhilthTube
I'm reading The Godfather: The Lost Years.

I didn't expect much, but it's actually really good.  The guy writing it has done a good job of filling the gaps in Puzo's story.  His style is pretty good too, more accesible than Puzo's.

Offline y2marmar

• Gunslinger
  • "You love it you slags"
I'm reading stuff for my modern drama course. I'm just finished a play by Brecht called The Good Person of Szcheswan (don't ask me how to pronounce it!)
It's about this young Chinese prostitute, Shen Teh. Three Gods come down from heaven to find a good person, because they've heard that the world is full of bad people. THey meet Shen Teh and decide that she's good. So they give her 1,000 silver coins and she opens up a tobacconists. But her good nature means people take advantage of her and before long her business is under threat. So she starts dressing up as her male "cousin" Shui Ta who is far more aggressive and assertive than she is. IT starts of as only occasionally for an hour or two, but eventually she remains dressed as him for months, until people start accusing "Shui Ta" of murdering Shen Teh. It's really good.
I was expecting it to be awful, but I couldn't put it down.

Offline RocketQueen85

• Sniper Assassin
Im readin like 3 books at a time lol Im readin this book called "act of god" about tomb 55 in egypt.then I readin the Tommy Lee Bio and the Anthony Kiedis Bio too...but act of God is really good if ya like things about egypt :D

Offline tatiana

• Sniper Assassin
hope they serve beer in hell.

me too cause it might just be a little warm down there!

i'm reading "wicked - the life and times of the wicked witch of the west".

Offline seetal

• Sniper Assassin
  • Step Outside But Not To Brawl
codex- Lev Grossman. kinda hard to get into but its okay