Author Topic: VR Forum's Policy Regarding Copyright Protected Music  (Read 15186 times)

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Lately, there have been an increasing number of topics, posts and links being pulled by the administrators and the moderating team due to violations of our policy on copyright protected music. This increase is natural since we have a lot new faces here and it has been over a year since we heavily promoted the rule on the forum. Because of this unfortunate tendency, and the imminent release of (at least) two new VR tracks Ė Come On, Come In from the Fantastic Four soundtrack and the acoustic version of Fall To Pieces from the repackaged Contraband Ė we feel itís necessary and the right time to refresh your memory:

Trading or sharing of all copyright protected material is prohibited on the forum unless it comes from an official source (i.e. band's official home page).

To avoid confusion, the rule is applied without any exceptions. Whether the song is old or new, taken from a big album release or only available as a B-side to a single or as a song off a soundtrack, doesnít matter. If it is or has been available through a commercial release, velvetrevolverforum.com is not the place to share or ask for it. It is also important to remember that this rule is not only effective for Velvet Revolver's music, but for all bands out there.

However, if the bands/artists share the music on their official website, links to that are of course most welcome on the forum. And as long as VR doesnít explicitly ask us to act differently, we also encourage and appreciate sharing of live recordings in our community  

Finally, we also want to let you know that we are very thankful to everyone who has respected this policy and has helped us maintain it and point it out to fellow forum members whenever a violation occurs. This is something we hope to see more of also in the future as it is very easy for a topic, or a link hidden inside a long thread, to fall under the moderator teamís radar. So if you spot a link to commercially released music, we would be very happy if you PM a moderator about it and/or post a reminder about this policy in the topic at hand.

Best wishes for a rocking summer to all of you from the administrators and the moderating team!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:44:13 PM by Sverre »

Offline WomanoftheWorld

• Slash Momma
  • Sniper Assassin
  • Slashaholics "untie!"
    • All Things Considered...Slash!
Sorry if this is a dumb question but, if I don't ask I'll remain dumb about it!  Does this apply to links where the music is streaming?  I listened to a song the other day that I couldn't download - it was just there to listen to.  Can a link like that go up or is that violating copyright too?

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Since it is so easy to rip streaming audio, the rule applies to streams just as it does to downloadable media files: It's OK to post it if it comes from an official source. Streaming samples of songs put up for preview at sites such as http://www.fmqb.com, http://www.allmusic.com, http://www.amazon.com, etc are of course also acceptable to post. If you are uncertain in a specific case, I would recommend you to ask one of our admins (or a mod) through PM before posting it on the board :)

Offline WomanoftheWorld

• Slash Momma
  • Sniper Assassin
  • Slashaholics "untie!"
    • All Things Considered...Slash!
Well seeing as I have no idea how to rip streaming audios anyway, I will certainly ask if I ever want to put one up.  

Thanks!

Offline isabelle_guns

• Sniper Assassin
  • Trying to live one beat at a time
    • http://www.lollypopshoved.com/LOLLYPOPSITE/duff.htm
as much as that sucks, the reminder was helpful as some of us seasoned members have also forgotten about the policy....cheers

Offline rock_chick4surrr

• Gunslinger
I'm just confused maybe this can be summarised into a few lines for those hwo may not undertsand?  :|

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
Don't upload and share music people can buy from a music shop :)

Offline WWEChampion

• Pea Gun Newbie
Here's a topic I don't get. Explain to me in a non-bullshit answer why we can't share copyrighted material. I mean, I understand that it's illegal but honestly, who the fuck cares as long as it's not something like Contraband in it's full form or a leaked record.

Offline Velvet Revolver

• Administrator
Orange is not a good color on me so going to jail for having "illegal" songs on the forum isn't an option.  Simple enough?  Here's even better - it's stealing from the artists.  How would you like someone to walk into your house and take something of yours?

Offline chris!

• Unloaded
Orange is not a good color on me so going to jail for having "illegal" songs on the forum isn't an option.  Simple enough?  Here's even better - it's stealing from the artists.  How would you like someone to walk into your house and take something of yours?

:shock: I would love it, does that mean i can send tracks over the net.  :shock:

Lol  :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Sammy_dirty_little_thing

• Sniper Assassin
  • Hi, My Name is Samantha
    • Sammy's Myspace Site
i am glad that vr have this copyright thing on the cd so it only plays if using a computer so one shares it they should make all the money from this album it pure brillance

rock on
sammy

Offline velvet angel

• Sniper Assassin
well said i agree. its a good reminder

Offline Bad Ronald

• Pea Gun Newbie
yeh.........and just think of all the pedophiles and murderers and rapists who they'd have to let go just to put you in prison cuz one of velvet revolver's B sides was posted here

*SHUDDERS*

Offline KindredJames

• Target Practice
  • Izzy Kicks Ass
    • Kindred James
I'd like to add something to this, Velvet Revolver sell their music go on tour not just for the fans but to make money to support their families it's a job, and if anyone gives one song or an Album away that is a certain percentage (depending on their contract agreement) of their money lost. I think it's fair to say that if you don't respect them enough to buy their music then you aren't real fans.  So come on think about it, Turn the tables around. What if it was you making music spending months away from your family spending night after night with an arena of strangers to provide for them and do what you love doing just to be ripped off. NOT COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(  Sorry it's just my opinion.

Offline Sammy_dirty_little_thing

• Sniper Assassin
  • Hi, My Name is Samantha
    • Sammy's Myspace Site
i agree with your opinion kindred^^^^

no one should take an artists music - i respect everything VR say and do and i hope they continue rocking
i dont like people sharing music over the net unless its bootlegs etc....

Offline nightrain_st

• Straight Shooter
  • The last guitar Hero
good point kindred, but lets face it, everyone in this forum would like to hear something new from vr, so thats the reason, it's not like anyone wanna be in prision or somethin' for that, itīs just that vr it's so cool, that you just wanna have more and more...

Offline Ale

• Sniper Assassin
  • Karel = Botswana
    • Velvet Revolver Nederland

Offline BShea

• Sniper Assassin
  • Flies in the Vasoline We Are
    • UltimateRockGods.com
that damn "Thank You" dvd..  :(

Offline JAC

• Sniper Assassin
  • Kirschner Fan
    • Dave Kushner Fansite
So how does it work with streaming official material?

Offline Sverre

• Administrator
So how does it work with streaming official material?

Considering the ease of ripping streaming media, it's almost like posting links to direct downloads. So unless you are the copyright owner, the answer is: No, you can't post it here.

Offline lilly

• Target Practice
hey guys it cool just ember theseguys just want to protect what they have done

Offline fallen_to_pieces

• Pea Gun Newbie
  • Disorientated
well i guess we just have to wait 50 to 70 years for the copyrights to finish eh!!?

Offline kilervelvet

• Straight Shooter
I have to say i agree with the policy , theyve worked hard , and well its a respect issue ,,